Monday, January 17, 2011

I'm baaaaaack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, so I have no excuses, except that I totally FORGOT all about my blog!! How crazy is that? How you can you forget about your blog? Well, I have been writing on my Caring Bridge site instead, so I suppose that lets me off the hook a little. I'm probably going to delete that account soon. Or maybe I'll just link it to this one.

Anyway, a lot has happened (obviously, it's been nearly three months!!!) since I last posted here. The biggest news is that I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis!! Finally after five years of being sick, five years of visiting doctors, and five years of not knowing what is wrong with me, I have an answer. I saw my new PCP back in early November. He said based on my symptoms and my office exam he was more than 95% sure that I have MG. He started me on Mestinon. Mestinon is a medication that helps the neuromuscular junction do what it is suppose to do (simplified definition). MG is an autoimmune disease and there is no cure. But, Mestinon helps the symptoms. I may have to go on some sort of immune modulating drugs at some point, but for now the Mestinon seems to be enough. I spoke with my Neurologist (she's about three hours from here) and she said she felt that I should try the Mestinon. So, with her OK, and with the eye doctor's (she's felt I had MG for some time) urging, I started taking it! I'm definitely no longer the medication phobic girl that I was four or five years ago. Yay me!

I have been sick off and on since Christmas Day. I woke up Christmas morning with a stomach bug. Nice. Not. Vomiting was not part of any of my plans for Christmas Day festivities. After the stomach bug, I ended up with an upper respiratory infection. It started in my chest and worked it's way up. Then, it was back to a GI bug. Now, I just have some "ache all over feel like I got hit by a bus" bug. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. In all honesty, I've done a little of each! Seriously, though, my MG symptoms have really ramped up during all of this. I've noticed more weakness, more shortness of breath, and more choking episodes. All of this had decreased once I had started on the Mestinon. I just want to get back to normal. My normal.

My paycheck was really lean this past week. Partly because I really was too sick to work, and partly because my laptop was being fixed, so I couldn't work as much from home. Well, it's been fixed and I really need to get in gear and get more hours in this pay period. I did go upstairs to use our desktop a few times, but it's not very easy for me to work up there. I have a nice set up down here in my "home office" aka our master bedroom. I have my laptop, plenty of pillows to support my arms and head, my nightstand for drinks, meds and phone, and the TV (shhh!!!) for viewing during (very, very short) breaks. I do go in to the office for a few hours two days a week. I am so blessed to have both a job that I love and one that I can do from home.

I suppose I should start dinner. Don't be too impressed by my effort. It's sloppy Joe's, french fries and pears.

No comments:

Post a Comment