Tuesday, March 15, 2011

There's Always Something...

I've been putting off posting an update because I honestly don't know what to say. I don't want to come across as a complainer, but I want to share these things too. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I'm dealing with a major back injury. I'm betting that the weakness that I have in my trunk muscles has something to do with this. Saturday, I got so bad that I couldn't get myself up out of bed. After hours with no change, we finally ended up calling an ambulance. I hated to do that; mostly because of the costs involved. But, we really had no choice. At the hospital, I was given a shot of Morphine with Phenergan, which helped some. I had a CT scan because the MRI machine was busy. They called me on Sunday with an appointment for the MRI on Monday morning. Now, I'm just waiting for the results. The CT scan showed I had two discs that were protruding. I guess the MRI will show if there's a herniation. I'm taking Lortab and Flexeril around the clock. I've never taken a muscle relaxer before, but I really need to take it now. I'm proud of myself for being able to take yet another type of medication. I'm hoping I don't have any long term problems with my back.

When you have a chronic illness, any injury or other illness can affect your chronic illness. In my case, my arms and legs are much weaker because I have to use them more to compensate for my weak and painful back. I've noticed it more in my arms because I've had to use them to push myself up from whatever position I'm in. I'm hoping my body can handle this extra stress and that it doesn't affect me permanently.

I haven't been able to work at all. I'm going to try and work a few hours here from home today. I'm very restless and wish I could get up and get things done. The kids cooked lunch on Sunday~ham & mashed potatoes; yum! It was really good. They've also been helping with the laundry. I really cannot do much of anything now; I mean I'm just not able to even if I pushed myself. Tim is at the grocery store now picking up a few things that we need.

I know I have so much to be thankful for, but as I sit here wondering about what is going to happen next, I can't help but be a little scared. A little frustrated. I'm trying to make the best out of being bed bound. I know this isn't a permanent situation for me. I have got to figure out what I need to do to keep myself mentally healthy. I need to set goals; even if they are small, simple goals that I have to do from bed.

I guess I'll end here. I'm going to go work on my goal list. Thanks for any prayers you can send up for me.

Shari

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shari - you sounded great on the phone today. It was such a treat catching up and hearing your voice. I'm thrilled that you are taking it slow and taking good care of yourself. (The Eagles song, "Take It Easy", is going through my head right now!!)

    Keep us posted, as you get answers from the doc's!
    Love,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The chocoholics 12-step program: NEVER BE MORE THAN 12 STEPS AWAY FROM CHOCOLATE!"

    ReplyDelete