Thursday, April 28, 2011

Come on Get Happy!

I just woke up from an hour long nap...I'm still so tired though and feel as if I could fall right back to sleep if I let myself. I've had a lot of pain today, and if I can sleep through the pain, it makes it easier to handle. It's not severe pain; it's just there. And, it's in more than one place. I sprained my ankle again. That sucks too because once I sprain my ankle (s), I usually sprain it again several times in quick succession. I guess it happens like that because the ankle is so weak. On top of spraining it, the joints have been popping out of place. I read today that the foot has more than 30 joints! No wonder my feet hurt. On the same side as my ankle, both my knee and hip have been hurting. I know my knee has been sliding out of place, but I can't tell if my hip is or not. I've been icing my ankle and knee, but I haven't taken any pain meds yet. I guess I need to dig out an Ace bandage or my ankle brace.

On to happier things. I've been reading a book called the Happiness Project. I'd heard about this book a long time ago, and I even subscribe to the author's feed on Facebook, but until now, I hadn't paid that much attention to it. I'm only on the first chapter, but I can tell I'm going to get a lot out of it. I'll try to post a link to it here. http://www.amazon.com/Happiness-Project-Morning-Aristotle-Generally/dp/006158326X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304023571&sr=1-1

The author decides that although she's happy, she's not as happy as could be. So, she sets out on this year-long journey discovering how to become a happier person. She devotes a month to one topic (marriage, parenthood, friends, etc. own ) and goes about learning as much as she can on each subject. Then, she finds ways to improve on these areas of her life (with the assumption that finding fulfillment in certain areas leads to happiness).
So, I've started a happiness project. I don't have a complete plan, but here are the areas that I'm going to work on: friendship, exercise, diet, religion, family, home, play, hobbies, etc., finances, parenthood, marriage, vacation planning, volunteering.... So, I'm one short. I guess it will come to me eventually. I'll let you know how I'm doing with the project. In fact, I think I'll use this blog to help keep me accountable.

You may wonder what made me decide to do this, or maybe not. I'll try to explain my reasons. So, one reason is that I guess I'm sort of like the author. I'm happy, but not happy enough. I know being chronically ill adds a whole other dimension to happiness, and this project in general. Thanks to Lexapro, I don't feel depressed, but I'm just not where I want to be. The way I see it, increasing my happiness can make dealing with being sick a whole lot easier. It will help my relationships too. I am still grieving for my best friend (Cindy) who passed away last October. I know that has an effect on how happy I am. It's just a low-level feeling of emotional pain that is always there in the background. In time, it will fade, but it's something that I am working on very slowly.

My heart goes out to those who lost their loved ones and those who lost homes from the devastating tornadoes. Again, these kinds of tragedies put things in perspective for me. Yes, living with chronic pain and chronic illness is hard, but I know I still have it pretty good. Can I hear an "Amen"? In my area, we are still dealing with flooding. So many roads around our house are closed due to high water. And, just a half a mile from our home people are trying desperately to save their homes from the rising water. There's a sandbagging effort from two local churches that happen to be right across the street from each other. I drive by there every day and seeing everyone out there is a very emotional thing. I'm sad that I'm not able to help, but it's also heart-warming to see people helping people. The mayor has now declared a state of emergency which will allow those affected to receive state aid.

I'll close on this note (or notes HA HA): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1GHYFYqeJw&feature=artist Don't lie, you were singing this as soon as you saw the title of my blog today! (I had to fix this link, so if you are reading my blog through email, you might not be able to see the video. Just go to my blog and watch. I hope it works this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment