Monday, April 25, 2011

Rainy Days and Rainy Nights and Other Observations

We've had rain every day now for about six days (maybe longer). And, it's not just been a sprinkle, it's been torrential, monsoon-like rains. We have flood warnings, and people have to sandbag around their homes. It really is horrible. I think we've had about 4 inches of rain, and we are supposed to get about five more inches before it all ends! I think the rainy weather really is taking its toll on people...everyone seems tired and grumpy (present company included).

Today Tim and I sat down and addressed Aaron's graduation announcements. Surprisingly, (or maybe not surprisingly) Tim has better handwriting than me. For that I am grateful because we had quite a system down, he addressed them, I put them in the envelopes (both of them) and put the seals and return address labels on. Now, we have to work on Elizabeth's, and hers will be a little bit more work, but since she's here, she will be able to help.

I was also able to make some phone calls, pay some bills and get some of those things that have been on my to-do list done. I am such a goal-oriented person and even just doing the simplest thing makes me happy. I am still trying to figure things out regarding the house. I'm tempted to call Merry Maids in for a deep clean. We really just don't have the money for that now, though. So, I'll just have to figure something else out.

The other day I commented on a friend's blog that being chronically ill is sort of like getting old early. Really, in some ways it is. Some of us may lose our independence, have aches and pains, have limited mobility and have to take a truckload of medication. Sure sounds an awful lot like old age to me. I don't know why, but for me, thinking about chronic illness with that perspective makes it a little easier to handle. No, it's certainly not fair. I mean everyone deserves and wants to live life to their fullest. But, life comes with no guarantees. So, I guess we really do just have to learn to make the best of the cards we've been dealt.

It looks like more storms are moving in, so I probably ought to get off of the computer. I hope it's nice and dry wherever you are (unless you are having a drought, then I hope you get some of this rain...I'll gladly pack it up and send it on its way).

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."~M. Kathleen Casey

1 comment:

  1. Shari, Please don't send anymore rain my way!! I'm about as sick of it as you!!
    Glad to hear your to-do list is getting smaller. It's a good feeling to cross something off the list. Sadly, each time we cross something off we add something else to it!

    Chronic illness is indeed like old age, but as you say we have to make the best of the cards we've been dealt..

    ReplyDelete