Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dog Days of Summer, etc....

Wow! Is it ever hot here! 98 degrees and 60% humidity! I'm so thankful that we have central air. Even though it doesn't seem to cool our whole house very well, we still have it! I can sympathize with those people who don't have AC. It will be cooler tomorrow; at least that's what the weather people say. And, we know they are always right, don't we?

Speaking of dogs, our little one is settling in. I'd like to say quite nicely, but we've had a few bumps in the road. For one thing, she is a lot more work than I expected. I have to watch her constantly! We should have named her Hoover because she is like a vacuum, she sucks up everything. She's even good with baseboards (much better even than my new, more traditional vacuum cleaner). I have our kitchen gated off so I can put her in there when I need a break. There are times when I just have to get things done. She doesn't much like it in there when she's by herself, at least not for very long. She will start to whine and bark, grrrr!! I'm going to have to let her carry on for a while, or she will never be happy in there. It will be a while before she can have her run of the house. I do feel as if I'm doing some things right. For example, I have been brushing her every day. I've also been handling her paws and ears so she will get used to that. I sure wish we would have done that with Elmo. Also, she has met a lot of the neighborhood kids. They just love her! I want her to be comfortable around children. Elmo wasn't mean, but I don't know that I entirely trusted him with kids. She's also doing well with the housebreaking. She always goes outside when I take her. She will use her puppy pads too, though, which I'm fine with as she is still so little. She has had a few accidents, but not in the past few days. I know there will come a day when I feel that getting her was the right decision until then we'll just make the best of it.

I'm doing the"pull yourself up by the bootstraps" dance these days. For one thing, I've decided just to get over the whole broken friendship. My friend and I did talk, and I do understand things a bit better now, but it has also made me realize that I need to pull back from her and work on other friendships. I also need to quit discounting those friendships that I can make online. Sure, those friendships may never be traditional in the sense that we can go out for dinner or a movie, but that doesn't make them less real. I have been thinking about those people who are truly house or bed bound and how they must deal with friendships. How they cultivate them. There are many ways you can grow a friendship. In fact, I'm so excited about my upcoming first video chat with my friend Cathy!! I met Cathy online a few years ago. We've never met in person, but we talk online. She is very special to me, and I feel blessed to have her in my life. Someday, hopefully, we can meet in person, but until then, we will just make the best of our situations.

Oh, before I forget. For some reason, I'm still having trouble commenting on the comments left on my blog. Please know that I've read them all (all two of them HA!), and they mean so much to me! I'll try and figure out what the problem is.

I guess it's time I go clean the kitchen...ugh, so not looking forward to that.

Have a  cool day! Have a Diet Coke for me!

Shari

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like Pumpkin is making herself right at home!
    Don't feel disheartened about the friendship problem, sometimes things just don't work overtime.
    It finally cooling off here in NJ, thank goodness!
    Stay strong...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Sounds like that fur baby is keeping you busy:) She's a pup...she'll grow out of some of that. They are so sweet and love you no matter what..that's why they are so special:)
    The friends that I have made on my blog...are awesome!! I've never met them...I have talked with a few on the phone...which was SO nice..but they are every bit as special to me as if I were there and talking with them in person. I have been so blessed by the kindness and prayers that they have sent...literally:)...my way.
    I hope that you aren't feeling to bad. This heat is oppresive. Especially when you aren't feeling well. I go back to the doctor tomorrow to find out exactly what he is going to do about the results of my mri's.
    Sorry to hear that you have had to pull back from the friendship that you mentioned. But, just keep in mind that you have other friends that love you!!! (Like me :)
    I better go for now....Big hugs from me to you!!

    ReplyDelete