Sunday, September 4, 2011

Pumpkin-1, Shari-0

I think I've finally figured out why I've had such an increase in symptoms lately. It's, Pumpkin, who is now 10 pounds, kicking my pitiful butt!! I have to say I think we are finally starting to adjust and getting into a routine, but it's taken a long time. I no longer feel as if I have to be up, following her around the room. We put a gate up so she couldn't get upstairs, she's figured out how to jump up on our couch and go through the banister rails. As long as I'm sitting on the couch she will have a hard time getting upstairs. Good thing I'm a couch potato (although it isn't by choice). I miss being able to go back to my bedroom during the day and rest, nap or catch up on a book or a tv show. If she's super sleepy and willing to get on the bed and nap, then I get my "chill out time"...it doesn't happen often though. The loss of my nap time, the having to keep track of her (keeping things out of her mouth, etc), and the extra walking (she stops, starts, and runs!!) are all affecting me. My knees, ankles, hands and neck are popping like crazy! I feel like a walking bowl of Jiffy Pop!! I'm trying real hard to find ways to rest and be less physical, but what works one day doesn't necessarily work the next. I'm looking forward to the day that I have a dog who is willing to rest when I rest. Of course I know she will always need exercise and play time, but it will be nice when she doesn't need as much of it. She's such a high-energy puppy. I love her so much though and she makes me laugh every day. So, I guess we will keep her.

In other news, next week is my big appointment!! How many times have I said that? I'm so, so sick of having to fight so hard to be heard. To have to work so hard to get the help that I so desperately need. All of this takes so much time, energy and money. All things that I have so little of anyway since I'm so sick. The sad  thing is, there are so many other people who have gone through, or are going through the same thing. I would love to be able to do something to change the way the system works. I'm afraid, though, it's a complicated issue with no easy answers. If doctors would just listen to their patients and show compassion that would go a very, very long way in solving the problem. Anyway, I am seeing the Geneticists in Cincinnati. He is supposed to be one of the best doctors in the country for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. I'm hoping that he will be able to give me the "official' diagnosis and that he will work with my local doctors and physical therapist here at home. I also want my kids to be checked over too.

I'm cold! Yep, a cold front went through. YAY!  I'm hoping that it's finally the start of Fall. It was 100 degrees here yesterday and I was so sick because I don't do heat very well. It's 74 degrees now and I'm cold. Not freezing, have to go get under the covers cold, but chilly enough to go get long pants on and get out of my shorts. I will not be sad at all to say goodbye to this summer. It was way too hot!!!

 I'm looking forward to the cooler night...going to get out the flannel sheets. I'll probably watch the MDA telethon too. I hate that it's so short this year; I'm betting that cuts into their donations big time. It will be strange not to see Jerry, too. Although, I have to say, he's seemed a bit off his game (some of his humor was a bit much for me) the past few years. Well, Miss Pumpkin is not getting enough attention. Poor dog. So, I better attend to her.

Shari

Animals are such agreeable friends-they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms~George Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment