Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year!!

I made it through the Holidays! Yay me! As I said in my previous entry, we started off with a stomach bug...I'm so glad that didn't put a damper on our Christmas.

So much happened in 2011. On a personal level, our son graduated from college (go IU) and our youngest daughter graduated from high school (both with honors.) Tim and I also celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. And, September, I finally received my diagnosis!!! It took seven years, several misdiagnoses, and over a dozen doctors, but it finally happened!! For those who don't know, that is when I saw world famous Geneticist Dr. Brad Tinkle! He diagnosed me with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Hypermobility type. While I really felt as if that is what I had, I knew better than to go into the appointment expecting the diagnosis. I'd had my hope dashed way too many times. It was bittersweet, really. There is no cure. But, there are various ways of treating EDS.

Once the reality of the diagnosis set in I started doing more in depth research about EDS. What I found was very interesting. So many things could finally be explained. What seemed to be a hodge podge of unrelated symptoms all seemed to point to EDS: My digestive troubles, eye trouble, muscle and joint pain, joint dislocations, and even my delayed walking were all, more than likely, from Ehler's Danlos.

I have a few things I'd like to accomplish for 2012. First of all, I want to find a way to help those who have EDS, or even those who don't have a diagnosis, but need support and information. I only have so much time and energy to give though, so I will have to be careful about what I decide to do. I'm still working on average about 15 hours per week. I don't know how long I can continue to do so though. My goal has always been to work until we are out of debt. The trouble is, our get out of debt date keeps getting moved back (Darn medical bills, and old cars!) I guess it will be at least another year and a half until we are debt free. I do love my job, but I know I will love, love being able to give back to the EDS community. I'd also like to write a book someday. Other things I'd like to accomplish:  loose some more weight, organize my house, attend church more regularly....

I'm so thankful for all of my friends and family. I wish you all a Happy New Year filled with good health, a bit more wealth, and tons happiness.

Shari

"We will open the book.  Its pages are blank.  We are going to put words on them ourselves.  The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day."  ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce

No comments:

Post a Comment