Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Year's Hopes

I've been thinking a lot about my current condition. Looking back, I can see that I am worse than I was last year. In fact, over the past few months I've declined. I have more pain, more weakness and, overall, more days where I am confined to the bed. This is, obviously, not where I want to be. I know there are things that I should be doing to help myself more. I don't know why I don't try harder to make these changes. I suppose it takes too much mental energy. Energy is something I don't have much of these days. Physical or Mental.

So, one thing I have been doing is taking my vitamins. I take a daily vitamin D3 with Calcium (I have had a real low vitamin D level in the past) and a multi vitamin. It's a baby step, but it's a step in the right direction. I need to get back on a decent diet too. Speaking of diets...have any of you seen the new diet campaign by Special K? They ask the question, "What will you gain when you lose?" Then, once the woman steps on the scale, instead of seeing a number she sees a positive word. Confidence, Satisfaction, etc...While I don't think you have to eat Special K to loose weight, I do think their campaign is clever and inspiring. In fact, one of the things I've done in the past to help me reach my weight loss goals is to write down the reasons why I want to lose weight. Some of my reasons:  Better health, be around for my kids and grand kids, feel better, look better, fit into my skinny clothes (buy new clothes!!)...Just a few things I've come up with. I have come to realize that I am a very visual person. Having reminders in front of me is a very effective way for me to be inspired to make positive changes.

I probably mentioned this before, but I have not been very good about doing my PT exercises. I was doing great until I came down with that stomach bug, then I just sort of stopped. I'm sort of reluctant to start them again as my neck has gotten so much worse. I subluxed it while drying my hair the other day and ever since then it has been popping out of place more and more. Yesterday, it happened three times over the course of an hour. Very painful and very frustrating. I really feel like I need to  have some Xrays or an MRI at this point. But, it's a new year, which means I have to meet a new deductible. We are already making payments on medical bills from last year, so I'm having a real hard time justifying making new bills. I'm sure I'll have to go to the doctor at some point this year though and it will all start all over again. I suppose it wouldn't hurt if I started back with my exercises, but maybe do fewer of them and less reps. I really do think they were helping and I hope that when I get back to doing them again I will have fewer subluxations and less pain.

Besides working on my diet and exercise, I really want to work on decorating our bedroom. We've had it this same sage green for about five or six years (maybe longer). I spend so much time in here and I want to make it as beautiful and functional as possible. I am so picky about painting though. I mean, I always do all of the painting in the family and I have to say that I do a pretty good job. I have one friend who always helped me paint, but she has moved out of town. I don't think I'm physically able to paint anymore, so that means we will probably have to hire someone. Oh, while I'm on the topic of bedrooms. Tim and I went to look at the Sleep Number Beds yesterday. We will probably buy one sometime this year. We have it narrowed down to two of the beds and we can't decided which one we should buy. So, I'm going to do some asking around on some of the EDS message boards I frequent. Our bed is just horrible!!! It's so lumpy and I know it causes some of my pain. I figure we should probably do the decorating before we get the bed. I think I'll start looking at paint colors. Besides painting, I really want to get a better system set up for my nightstand. It's too small to hold everything I need. I want to get some sort of shelving system or something that can hold all that I need. The trouble is I don't have much space. I'm sure I'll get it all figured out. It will be exciting to work on planning it all out. I always was a planner. And, it's something I can do from the bed thanks to the Internet!

Well, I suppose I should end this now. It's nap time and Pumpkin has already beat me to it. Thanks for reading.

Shari

No comments:

Post a Comment