Sunday, April 8, 2012

This and That

It's been a whole month since I've posted an entry and, once again, I never intended to go so long between updates. This morning we got up bright and early (not really too early) and went to sunrise service at church. It was a chilly morning and I'm thinking that may have played a part in the lower than normal attendance. It's a shame that we didn't have one of those summer-like mornings that we've had of late to draw in the crowds. Regardless, it was a beautiful service. Afterwards, there was a small breakfast served, which we all, of course, had to partake of. It was nice visiting with the members of the church as it's been a long time since we've attended. Elizabeth and I have been going to another nearby Methodist Church. She has several friends who go there and I was sort of ready to see what another church had to offer. It's a hard decision and I've said more than once, that I feel as if I'm "cheating" on my church. I was baptized there, confirmed there, and got married there. My mother attended there her whole life, too. So, it's sort of in my blood, but I felt as if something was missing in my experiences there. Time will tell if this will be a permanent change.

So, those of you who've read my blog in the past may have remembered me mentioning  that Tim was up for a new job. Well, he got it!! He is now the Editor of our city's newspaper. How awesome is that? I'm so proud of him. He's been on the job now about two weeks and I think he really likes it. It's quite different than his old job, but he seems suited for it. I love the fact that he's home evenings and weekends now. Our past two weekends have been spent working on our horrid landscaping. It's coming along and I hope we can finish it up next weekend. Even though I like his hours more, it will take us a while to get adjusted to the change. For one thing, we used to spend our mornings together just relaxing or running errands. Now he goes into work as soon as he gets up and doesn't get home until about 6:00 pm. Some nights, by the time we have dinner and clean up afterwards, I'm just about ready to collapse from the day. So, we really don't always end up with a lot of time together. I was also used to doing my work for my job in the late afternoon and evening. Now, I need to do that in the morning (probably better to get it out of the way anyway) and leave the afternoon for making dinner and perhaps resting before Tim gets home.

I actually made some long overdue doctor's appointments this past week. The money pressures will definitely ease up once Tim's raise kicks in, which made it much easier to finally make the calls. It's sad that that is one thing that has kept me from making these appointments. But, we have this massively high deductible now and it will be a long time before we meet it, so everything will be coming out of our pockets for quite sometime. Anyway, one of the appointments I made was with a cardiologist. I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but I have been having some pretty severe blood pooling in my feet. Just standing for a few minutes causes them to turn red and my veins to swell. That, along with my funky autonomic nervous system issues, lead to Dr. Tinkle suggesting I see a cardiologist. I was sort of hoping he would recommend one familiar with these types of issues, but he suggested I see a local one, so I guess we will start there. Those of us with a chronic illness all know how we take a risk each and every time we see a new doctor. Will they believe us? Will they know about our illness (if we are lucky enough to have a diagnosis)? Will they even be able to help? Anyway, I see him sometime in May. The other appointment I made was with an eye doctor. I need to see one yearly with all of my eye issues. Lately, I've had flashes of light in my peripheral vision and I really feel as if I need to get that checked out. I had been going to an Opthamologist because it was covered under our medical insurance, but, again, since we've not met our deductible, the costs to see an Opthamologist would be much higher than an Optometrist. Also, I'm going to be going to the eye group that Tim and the kids go to (a place I went to since I was 2) now. I sort of feel like we should all be at the same place since we have some genetic issues going on. Besides the EDS, I found out I am at risk for a form of glaucoma. I found this out through testing I did through 23and me. I'll talk more about that another time.

Physically, I've been up and down. I have been doing so much more since Tim got his new job. For one thing, I've been running some of the errands that we normally did together in the morning by myself. Also, he has to wear good dress clothes every day, so I've had to iron things and make sure he has clean clothes for the following day. I've been washing his suits and dress shirts every weekend. I usually have some ironing to do and if I don't get that done over the weekend, I do it a little at a time during the week. I know we could probably have his clothes sent to the cleaners, but it seems so silly to spend the money for that. Someday we may decide to do so, but for now we'll just leave things the way they are. Another thing that's changed is that I've been doing more housework. When Tim was home in the morning he would help in the kitchen, take out the trash, etc. Now, since he's not here, I'm doing more of that. The kids are helping when they are here and that helps. Still, I can feel the adrenaline from the excitement of the past few weeks wearing off, and I know it wont be long before I crash. I'm not being negative or exaggerating,  I just know my body.

I've for sure (finally) decided to cut my work hours back. I've been working 15 to 20 hours a week (it's really been closer to 15) and now I'm going to go down to about 10 to 12. I'll still make some money, but I wont feel as if I have to push myself to work. I get Social Security Disability in addition to my work income, so I am really contributing quite a bit to our household income. We hope to be debt free by the end of the year! Yay! Then, I may decide to quit my job entirely. I do like it a lot though, so unless I've declined more I will probably stick with it for as long as I can.

I'm getting super excited about the Ehler's Danlos National Foundation's annual conference. This will  be the first one I've ever been to. I can't wait to listen to all of the speakers and meet people who truly understand EDS. Registration just opened up, but I'm going to wait until our next pay day before I sign up. The conference isn't until August, so we have plenty of time to make plans and figure out the finances. Luckily, it's only about four hours from here, so I wont have to deal with an uncomfortable, long car ride.

I guess I better get to that laundry. Then, if I'm still standing, I'm going to spend some time out on the back patio with my Kindle. It's shaping up to be a nice, cool evening. We finally have a cool down from the record-setting temperatures we had in March and it makes being outside much more pleasant.

Until next time...
Have a happy, pain free week!
Shari

No comments:

Post a Comment