Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Doctor After My Own Heart!!

Yesterday, was my dreaded appointment with the cardiologist. I have to say that it was probably one of the best experiences I've ever had with a doctor! When I first got to his office, I overheard the office staff talking about getting a fax in; I looked down and saw it was from Cincinnati's Children's Hospital and knew it was from Dr. Tinkle. I felt bad because I never called Dr. Tinkle's office to have them send information to the cardiologist! Totally my fault! I was very impressed that they had taken the time to get the records themselves!

I went back to the examination room and had my vitals taken along with an EKG. I don't know whether the nurse was having a bad day or what, but she didn't smile once. She made no small talk and when I joked with her she ignored me. I hope she's not always that way. I know there are plenty of patients that he sees that are way sicker than me and they sure could use a smile along with a dose of compassion.

The doctor came in and greeted me with a smile and a handshake...I give him two points for that. He then started looking over my records as he hadn't had a chance to review them ahead of time. He commented that Dr. Tinkle knew his stuff and that he was brilliant. Yes sir that is true! He examined me and asked a few questions. He really won me over when he made the comment that I probably knew more about Ehler's Danlos than any doctor in the city including him!! Wow! Just wow! I told him I was always on guard with new doctors because so many times they are turned off by my knowledge about my condition.

I'm not sure he knows much about autonomic dysfunction, but I think he might be willing to learn. The next step, though, is for me to have a cardiac stress test. Ugh! I'm having that on Tuesday. He said he does feel as if some of my problems with being short of breath are probably due to my being out of shape, which he admitted that I  probably couldn't help because of my illness. I think I'm going to take a chance and print up some info about autonomic dysfunction for him. The thing is, even if I'm tested for it, I don't know if it will necessarily be positive as so much of the medication I'm on can help dysautonomia and, possibly, make the tests turn out negative. Whatever happens, I feel like I'm in good hands (for now anyway). Oh, just as he was leaving I told him about my high cholesterol and how my PCP wanted me on Crestor. I total him how high my level was and he agreed it was a good idea. I asked him if there were any side effects to Crestor and he said no, about the only side effect there was was that you would live longer. That made me laugh.

We had a busy weekend last week with Katie's graduation and this weekend we are having her party...that means about 50+ people will be at our house for about six hours! Yes, we are crazy, but we enjoy having people over and we really have a lot to celebrate!! The girls are going to help me with the housework this evening and tomorrow (and probably Saturday and Sunday too!) We still need to buy the decorations and food too. Thankfully, Tim isn't going in to work until later on Friday, so we can get some of the running done then.

Well, I guess I better get back to watching the shows I recorded. That includes my soap opera! I have to blame my mom getting me hooked on that!! I started watching Days of Our Lives with her back when I was five or six and I've been watching it ever since. In case you are wondering, soaps weren't nearly as racy back then as they are now. I've been resting, cleaning, working, cleaning and resting all day. It's one way to get things done!!

Have a great evening!

“I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
Delicious Ambiguity.” 

― Gilda Radner

No comments:

Post a Comment