Monday, August 27, 2012

This and That

I have several things I want to write about, so this will be a mixed bag update.

So, I took that big step I was talking about in my last post and told my boss I would not be able to come in to the office anymore! She was very understanding and that made me feel as if I was doing the right thing. My daughter, Katie, who has been working from home for them, will learn how to do that aspect of my job. I'm going to start training her tomorrow. It's great that she's taking over because with her still living at home we can discuss any issues that may come up rather easily. I know this is the probably just the first step in the sure to come changes with my employment. If I can just hang in there until next year, then I can quit altogether. If I'm doing well, I may not; but, as of today, my plans are to quit sometime next spring.

Our appointments with the geneticist are fast approaching. You may remember I had an appointment set up for the girls (their first) and myself for early August. Then, we found out Dr. Tinkle was leaving, so I made appointments with one of his replacements during our youngest daughter's school break. Well, I got a call on Friday that the doctor was going to be out of the office that day, so we'd need to reschedule. I went ahead and made the appointments for later that week with the understanding that we may need to change them depending on my daughters ability to get out of class. Well, she says she can't miss class (gotta love a serious student). I've been mulling over our options. We could reschedule all of  us for over winter break, I could keep the appointment and just go myself, or we could just go and take our oldest. Why does it have to be so complicated? *sigh* Tim thinks we should just wait and all go over winter break, but I'm having some issues that I want addressed now. Plus, I'm anxious to meet the new doctor. So, I'm leaning towards going and we will probably take our oldest, figuring she will get more time with us plus we wont have to cram three appointments into one day.

In other news, we bought a Sleep Number Bed! It was delivered on Friday, so we haven't had too many nights on it, but I have to say... I'm loving it!!! I'm trying to work out a few kinks. For one, I'm very comfortable on it when I'm laying on my back, but I mostly sleep on my left side. I haven't found the perfect amount of air for side sleeping just yet. The literature says to start out with a number and sleep on it for four or five nights at that firmness before changing numbers. I've heard good and bad about their beds. Mostly good. I figure it's like that with any bed though. There have been a few studies on those with arthritis, back pain and Fibro and how they've been helped by the Sleep Number Bed. I guess, in time, we will find out how well it helps me. I'll keep you posted.

I'm hoping that with some of these changes, I'll put a stop to my current decline. I still need to get my family to help me out more around the house; if I can just get them to do a little bit more it will help me a lot. I have a feeling that will be easier said than done. It's not that they are selfish or lazy, it's just that they are all super busy and they really haven't been expected to help out (my fault) much around the house. They need to find the time to help. I've had visions of going on strike and leaving everything to them...laundry, housework, cooking, shopping, etc. I'm sure they'd get by. I need to seriously think this one through.

I've been better about taking my multivitamin and Vitamin D w/calcium. Plus, I started taking Crestor and I've had NO problems with it. It was a big fear of mine. I was walking two or three times a week at the YMCA, but last week I was only able to go once. I'm making progress in some areas, but I really need to get my diet under control.  I know I've said this before, but it's so hard to make some of these changes when you have a chronic illness. You'd think you'd have an even bigger incentive than a healthy person, I mean you actually have some control over these areas. But, in my case, the chronic illness causes stress, the stress causes me to want to eat more junk. Plus, I'm not always able to exercise. Of course, I can and will change my diet when I'm finally ready, but the exercise component will be a little more difficult to work with.

OK, that's all I've got. Here's a little humor for those of you who are also dealing with a chronic illness.http://chronicillnesscat.tumblr.com/  I think some of my friends (Cathy?) could submit some of these. You should try it!


Shari





No comments:

Post a Comment