Friday, September 7, 2012

Scary trip to the ER

I guess I've entered yet another phase in my illness. This has been brewing for months, starting with the blood
pooling and ending with a trip to the ER by ambulance. I suppose I should just explain what happened.

Friday morning Katie and I went in to the office. I was going to go over my job with her one more time before handing the reigns over. We hadn't even got started when I got sick. It started with two trips to the bathroom (yes, this is going to be a bathroom story.) I'll just say I needed to go more than I realized. I started to feel very weak, sweaty, and faint. I called my boss who was in the other building next door and tried to explain to her what was happening. Only, I couldn't really speak. It was so strange! I got out call 911 before I went down. I don't think I completely lost consciousness, but I did collapse on the floor. Then, the nausea and vomiting started. Luck would have it that the ambulance was parked less than a block away from my office. The paramedics arrived and they did an EKG (I had several of those done), tried to start and IV (four or five times with no luck), put me on Oxygen, and checked my blood sugar (she had a hard time even getting a drop of blood out for that!).

My experience in the ER was not a good one. For one, I had several different nurses and no one seemed to know what had been done or needed to be done. I finally got IV fluids, but the drip was so slow that I didn't even get a half a bag in before I was sent home!! I had to get up to leave a urine specimen for them and when I got back it took about twenty minutes for someone to come back and hook up my IV!  I did get something for the vomiting though...thank goodness. The ER nurse is the one who said she thought I'd had a vasovagal reaction (which can be a part of dysautonomia); the doctor didn't seem to want to bother with me, in fact, he stood at the door and asked me how I was feeling and what I wanted to do. I asked him about the vasovagal reaction and he said "yes, it could be" Really? That's all he could say! Ugh! I'm so not happy with that.

I'm still not feeling well. My heart rate has been low, really low for me around 60 beats per minute. I'm still weak, dizzy and just feel bad in general. Also, I've been checking my heart rate both before and after I get up out of bed and I've had a pretty consistent rise of 30 bpm. This is a sign another sign of autonomic dysfunction. Earlier today I reluctantly called my Cardiologist. I spoke with the nurse and gave her the run down of everything that's going on.. I felt like a hypochondriac when I was explaining my increase in heart rate when being upright. She explained that your heart is suppose to raise when you stand up. Well, duh! I know that, but not by that much. I explained a little about my consultation with Dr. Pocinki and our discussion about dysautonomia.  She said she talk to the doctor and call me back. I'm so nervous about the whole thing. I mean, I just don't want to be brought in there to be told I'm just a whiny, worried middle aged woman (even if I am...HA!)

I thought I'd pass this along to all of my readers who are also dealing with chronic illness. This is a website for Invisible Illness Awareness Week.http://invisibleillnessweek.com/  You can listen to live shows with topics that pertain to living with chronic illness. I listened some last year and I really enjoyed it. If you have a blog, there are ways that you can participate in the week through your blog.

Well, I'm off to try and be upright for a bit. We shall see how that goes. Wherever you are, I hope you will be enjoying some cooler weather soon. We are expecting some cooler weather this weekend along with some rain.

Shari



2 comments:

  1. Ugh sorry. I've only been to the ER once for POTS and got fluids and a bunch of zofran so I could quit throwing up. That's about all they can do. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you've been through it too. I guess the ER can only do so much...fluids do help a bunch! I just wish I could have gotten a full bag at least. lol

    ReplyDelete