Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Not So Scary Update

I thought I'd share a few things that have happened over the past week before I start in with month long blogging tomorrow. Yes, I'm warning you....30 days straight of my blog. I'll explain the what and why tomorrow.

I went to my PCP last week for my quarterly exam. It turns out my vitamin D level is extremely low. Mine is at 9! The normal range is between 30 and 80. Vitamin D deficiency can cause a lot of symptoms, one of which is chronic pain. I'm hoping by getting my Vitamin D level up I can decrease some of my pain. I'm waiting to hear back from the nurse as to the amount of Vitamin D that I need to start taking. I did have some good news. My cholesterol level has dropped 80 points since I started the medicine just a few months ago. I believe I'm down to 160 now! All of the other numbers that go along with it, HDL, LDL & triglycerides were all improved. And, I'm starting physical therapy again next week. Since I've met my deductible for the year, I thought it would be a good time to start back up with it again.

Katie went back for her visual field test again and she passed!! The doctor said she'd need to come back in a year for a recheck. I'm so glad that ordeal is over with. Really, it was quite scary. She's not completely out of the woods yet as we still need to have her eyes rechecked for the oil production problem. We had to wait until we had this other issue settled first. So, we need to get her back in and see if any changes have taken place. Hopefully, she's been good about taking her medicine and using the warm compresses on her eyes.

Elizabeth, our youngest, was seen in the orthopedic after hours clinic last week for increased pain and swelling in her knee. The (very) young physician's assistant that saw her actually knew about EDS. He said it looked like she had softening of the cartilage under the knee cap. It's very common in young women (I had it), but it's more common in the EDS population. She's supposed to start PT too. The only problem is trying to get it worked into her busy schedule.

Our temps have taken a turn downward and my pain has taken a turn upward. Oh  my, both yesterday and today I've had to take pain medication. I guess the weather and maybe just an overall increase in my activity level have caused the pain. I hate to take the pain meds, but I'm so thankful that I have them. In fact, I asked my doctor to write me a new script since I've met my deductible and was due for a refill; I can get a three months supply (which will probably last me close to a year) for free! I know I'm blessed to have a doctor who"gets" EDS and the amount of pain it can cause.

I'll end here as I have a few things I need to do before the ghost and gobblins come knocking at our door. Have a safe and fun evening!

Shari

No comments:

Post a Comment