Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Marching On

The months since Christmas have been a blur for us. In my last posting I mentioned something about our youngest daughter's digestive issues. She had an upper endoscopy and a colonoscopy and her doctor was quite surprised with what he found. He said she has microscopic colitis, which is normally found in middle aged women. Also, she showed some signs of Celiac disease in an area of her digestive tract where it's not normally found. She had a genetic test done to see if he could confirm the diagnosis. But, that showed she has one of the mutations associated with Celiac, but not the definitive one. It put her at a 1 in 50 risk though. So, the plan now is to do a sigmoidoscopy in a few months once she's done with a round of steroids. She's taking a (very expensive) steroid that specifically targets the digestive system. I'm guessing if she's still showing signs of inflammation he may want to her to make some dietary changes. She's doing much better than what she was around the holidays and she's even gained the weight back that she lost.

I've been doing okay. I still have good days and bad. But, I've had no real decline this winter and for that I'm thankful. I'm finally going to start my HopeKeepers chronic illness support group at my church! Our first meeting is next Thursday. I'm nervous and excited! I think once I have the first few meetings under my belt, I'll feel better about things. It's been a long time since I've lead a meeting. 

In an effort to try and do a better job with updating my blog, I thought I'd use some prompts that I found on the Internet. These are thanks to cfs_zombie. I probably won't do them in any particular order and I might not use all of them, but it will give me something to start with when I'm running out of things to say. Here goes nothing!

What is your favorite inspirational quote? 

"Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny"~C.S. Lewis

It should be no secret as to why this is one of my favorite inspirational quotes. Anyone who has lived with a chronic illness knows how difficult it can be. I try to always keep in my mind the good that might come out of the bad. How will illness change me for the better? How can what I've experienced help me to help others? I don't know if I really think I have an extraordinary destiny, but I'd like to think I can make a difference in a few lives. I feel that the chronic illness group that I'm starting might be the vehicle to do that. I'd like to create not only a support group, but a chronic illness ministry for my church. A whole support system for those with chronic illness. I envision nurses, doctors and other health professionals sharing their knowledge. I see a list of "helpers" from the church. Well individuals who are willing to lend a hand with household tasks and errands for those with chronic illnesses. There are many possibilities. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I want to get something out of this, too. Something besides the good feeling that comes from knowing you are helping others. I'd like to gain new friends. Friends who understand what living with a chronic illness is like. And, a support system (from both the well and ill members) that is there when my family and friends are unable.

I suppose it's appropriate that I post this blog update today, after all, it's "anti-procrastination day".

Until next time...be well everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment