Thursday, September 10, 2015

Another Diagnosis!

I've been trying to come up with a way to start this entry. I'm really having a difficult time and I don't want to come off as being whiney. I'll just start at the beginning. I had the appointment with my PCP a few weeks ago. I mentioned how I felt as though my neck was swollen; he examined me and said he felt as though it was, too. I left his office with orders for thyroid lab work and a thyroid ultrasound. Last Friday,  I got a call from the doctor saying that my ultrasound showed an enlarged thyroid (goiter) and that my blood work showed that I had Hashimoto's Disease. I really was not expecting that. Apparently, one of my thyroid antibodies came back at 1100, the highest it's supposed to be is something like 40! His plan was to check my blood levels in about three months. However, I have decided I'd rather be in the hands of a good endocrinologist. Luckily, my daughter, Elizabeth (the one who, ironically, was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's a few months ago) works for an endocrinologist. She recommend one of the newer doctors on their staff. She said she's very good, but isn't booked too far out since she's so new. I have an appointment with her a week from tomorrow! I am anxious to be seen as I've been feeling so, so terrible. In case you're not familiar with it, Hashimoto's is an autoimmune thyroid disease. Here's some information on Hashimoto's.

Getting this diagnosis makes me wonder if some of my symptoms that I've attributed to Ehlers Danlos Syndrome may actually be from the Hashimoto's. Specifically, the muscle pain and exercise intolerance. I'm anxious to hear what the endocrinologist thinks. In some ways, this seems to have come on suddenly. I came down with a cold right around the time of my doctor's appointment; the cold itself was pretty mild, but my muscle pain, weakness and fatigue were severe. My cold symptoms are gone, but the other symptoms are still with me. I'm having difficulty swallowing from the goiter and that's a bit scary. Some of the other symptoms have been with me for years. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to sort out what symptoms come from what disease. Maybe it doesn't even matter. I just want treatment so I can feel better.

In the next few weeks, I'm going to be blogging about Invisible Illness Awareness Week.  This means you'll be seeing more frequent posts from me. I'll also share links and more information about the campaign. It's a worthy cause that I've been participating in the for the past few years.

The next post will be my 30 Things Meme. Here's a link to some of the other Memes: 30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know You'll need to scroll down to see the 2015 Memes.

Have a great, football filled weekend everyone. GO COLTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment