Saturday, February 13, 2016

Choose Joy



Focus on the positive and find what you're meant to do. #choosejoy #choosejoybook:
Have you ever read a book that touched you so deeply that it literally changed your life? Before now, I never had. Now, without a doubt, I have. I just finished reading Choose Joy: Finding Hope and Purpose When Life Hurts. It's a compilation of blog entries by Sara Frankl. Sara's friend Mary Carver shares her take on Sara's words throughout the book. Sara was a young woman who dealt with several chronic illnesses which ultimately took her life at the young age of 38. Sara wrote a blog called gitzengirl. In it she spoke of her life and how it had changed since she became ill. Christ was the source of her strength and through her beliefs, she was able to strengthen and encourage others. Sara was the type of woman we all strive to be. She was positive, encouraging and always tried to find the good in every thing life handed her. I stumbled across Sara's blog many years ago,  I think it was when I first became ill. I remember thinking that she really had a gift, not just the gift of writing, but the gift of seeing the good. She, of all people, could have been angry and bitter, but she wasn't. She made the best of things and along the way she taught many people to do the same. On the day Choose Joy was released, I went to several bookstores until I found a copy. I was so determined and at the time I remember thinking, why is this so important to me? After reading it, I know why. Even though the book is only a little over a month old, it's well worn and colorful. I remember telling a friend that I felt like I just needed to highlight the whole book! What spoke to me the most was that we have to give up the struggle for our former lives. We have to focus on what we can do, not what we can't. That's not to say that we can't mourn our previous life and even have moments of anger and sadness, but our main focus has to be on where we are now and how we can live the life we've been given.


If you have the chance, pick up a copy of Choose Joy. It's available at Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, and Family Christian Bookstore (this may not be a complete list of stores that are selling the book). I hope it will speak to you in the same way it did to me. I could share much more about this book, but I think discovering it yourself will bring you much more joy.

Remember: Keep Choosing Joy!





No comments:

Post a Comment