Monday, October 3, 2016

You Know You Have a Chronic Illness When...

This morning I woke up with pain in my right hip and left shoulder. I couldn't get comfortable; if I laid on my right side, my hip hurt, if I were laying on my left, my shoulder would dislocate and hurt. I couldn't win. It got me to thinking about all of the unusual things I experience from my illnesses, so I thought I'd make a list and share it here.

You know you have a chronic illness when:

1. All of your vacations center around or include a trip to a doctor.


2. The pharmacy tech gathers all of your meds when she sees you coming and she knows your date of birth without you having to give a hint.

3. Your nightstand holds everything you need to get you through almost any crises: Medication, extra fluids to get you through the night, tissues, braces, thermometer, etc

4. You have to rest after taking a shower, after eating and after having a conversation with someone.

5. You're tired when you wake up; you nap every day, but you spend an unusual amount of time awake in the middle of the night.

6. You've never met many of your closest friends; you only know them through online message
boards or social media.

7. You have your doctor's and pharmacist's phone number on speed dial.

8. You have the Netflix app installed on all of your electronic devices.

9. Hanging out with friends now includes a movie and take-out in your PJs in bed.

10. You don't take anything for granted, and you try to count your blessings every day (even on those bad days).

11. You often know more about your condition(s) than most of the medical professionals you encounter.

12. Most of your wardrobe consists of comfy lounge pants, loose fitting tops,
and cute PJs.

13. You don't need acting lessons because you've become very good at pretending you aren't in pain
and you have plenty of energy.

Do you have anything to add? How has your life changed since you became chronically ill?

2 comments:

  1. Kathleen, I'm sorry you can relate. I never realized how much of an affect fatigue could have on your life until I got sick. I hope yours isn't too bad! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete