Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Priorities and Blessings

I've had to take a step back from quite a few things in my life lately. The first thing that had to go (just for a little while) was Facebook. I joined Facebook to stay connected to family and friends, join groups with similar interests and to watch cute videos and look at and share pictures. It was and is supposed to be fun. But, I found myself getting stressed out every time I logged on. Most of it, but not all, had to do with politics. I've never seen such a nasty and divisive election season. The hatefulness comes from both sides. It was best for me to step away for a few weeks. I'm back, but with a smaller friends list and other safeguards in place. Has anyone else had to do this? Surely, I'm not the only one who feels this way.



Besides Facebook, I've had to decide where I need to focus my limited energy. As of four weeks ago, most of my time and energy are going to help my daughter and son in law care for our new grandson!! He had a rough start and spent about five days in the NICU, but he's doing great now.  I have to say, though, that I am utterly exhausted. I went to the hospital at least once, if not more, times a day. It's a twenty-five-minute drive one way, so that was time-consuming in itself. I wouldn't trade those days for anything, though. I've been driving my daughter to doctor's appointments while she sits in the backseat with the baby (I remember those early days of motherhood). My daughter's husband is a college student, and he's been quite busy with the end of the semester and his graduation nearing. So, I'm helping out as much as I can. Helping them is a priority for me now, so I'm letting other things go; things that I don't have to do.  Cooking, laundry and taking care of myself and my dog are all things that I must do. I have to overlook the dirty windows and sticky floor.

It's so hard to stay focused on taking care of myself. I ended up going to orthopedic urgent care a few weeks ago. My shoulder is continuing to dislocate in my sleep. The pain is horrible. The only thing they offered was physical therapy. No steroid shot, no brace. I've yet to start physical therapy due to the birth of my grandson. I know I need to call and get that setup. I'm going to be firm on just how many times I will go into the PT's office. I can't handle a long-term commitment.

Sadly, blogging is one of the things I've let slide. Some of it is due to time constraints, and some of it is due to writer's block, I guess. I do enjoy blogging, so I need to make it a priority. I also enjoy reading, and that's not been happening lately either. It seems like all I want to do is sleep. The exhaustion really makes it hard for me to get much done. Even if I want to do something, it doesn't always happen.

I still haven't made an appointment with a rheumatologist even after two of my doctors have recommended it. Some of it is due to fear. Fear that I'll get blown off; which shouldn't happen now that I have several confirmed diagnosis's. I have plenty of appointments before the end of the year, my yearly gynecologist exam, a check-up with my family doctor and an Endocrinologist appointment. I'm sure I forget something. Oh, I also need to get physical therapy completed before the end of the year (yes, we met our $6000 family deductible and 20% coinsurance!)

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day here in the USA. I have plenty to be thankful for this year! Friday we will have all of our kids here with their spouses (one with her boyfriend, who I hope becomes her husband) and of course our newest blessing little Levi.


Happy Thanksgiving to you and those dear and near to you!






2 comments:

  1. Happy late Thanksgiving! I have let my blogging slide some lately too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not been blogging much; hopefully, I can do better in the new year.

    ReplyDelete